When I was 24 I had a baby boy. When I was 25, I had a baby girl. I was tired, I was poor, but I was sooo happy and I ran the show. Those babies were the best time I ever had until....when I was 29 there came that last sweet girl. The three of them, and me.....sigh. Those days of looonnnggg afternoons at the park and cheerios and Play-doh, Bill Nye the Science Guy and Sesame street, Richard Scarry books and singing countless rounds of "around her head she wore a yellow ribbon...she wore it in the springtime and in the month of May...and when you asked her why the heck she wore it...she wore it for an airman who was FAR FAR AWAY........FAR AWAY.....FAR AWAY....oh she wore it for an airman who was FAR FAR AWAY"
*ahem*
Now those babies are all taller than me! But the baby baby is only 11, and she still likes to "get cozy" with Mama.... Nobody told me those would be some of the happiest memories of my life (actually, Mom did tell me that, but as usual, I didn't listen and had to figure that out for myself)....You just can't top the raising-your-own-babies days....
Kiss your babies tonight and breathe the sweet skin at the back of their warm necks......I love that spot.

3 comments :

Lisa said...

What a familiar portrait of motherhood you paint with your words. I miss my babies. I love them for who they are now, but I do miss that soft warm baby morning smell.

Alexa Marie said...

auntie lara! could i get the lyrics for the yellow ribbon song!? I love that song but we've all forgotten the lyrics at my house.... :)

larajanepark said...

Thanks guys! Yes Lex, I've got all the words to the "far Away" song in my head! I also know all the words to Johnny LeBreck too! Crazy what my brain chooses to remember....
I'll email them to you! Can you make your blog so that I can subscribe to your new posts??? I love it! Good job!
Love Crazy Aunt Lara

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground