The Great High School Read-Off

Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Great High-School Read-Off. Summer 2009

So...My handsome nephew Spencer and I have a deal. We're going to read all 7 of his AP English class books (required summer reading) before August 5th. They are listed in his below email to me last week:

Ok. Lets discuss this competition.

All Books must be read by August 5th, 2009
Books include: Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott
Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card
Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens
Tuesdays with Morrie, by Mitch Albom
Night, by Elie Weisel
Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew, by C.S. Lewis
Black Like Me, by John Howard Griffin

Whoever wins gets ... should we do prizes??
Ok. How does that sound?? Anything I missed?? You can decide if we do prizes or not, because if we did do prizes I don't know what we would do. hm... oh well and Good Luck!

Then today, he sent me this:

Its almost completely obvious who's going to win (Lara)
We are currently racing to see who can read my reading list faster. If she wins she gets 10 minute foot rub on each foot and a 10 minute backrub. If I win I get $10. Very unlikely though, since I keep falling asleep whenever I read.
MY COMMENT IS THIS: THE DANG KID IS TIRED BECAUSE HE'S ALWAYS DOING STUFF LIKE THIS:
Spencer's hole
.....and this:
lake17

All I can say is: He'd better get reading. Because I love to read. I love a good competition. I've already read Tuesdays With Morrie and Little Women. And I'd love to kick his butt at this!

5 comments :

Alexa Marie said...

hahahahahahaha. that's so awesome. he better pick it up otherwise his aunt is going to WIN!

Spencer said...

Yea, I'm basically dead meat. Better start working out my hand muscles.

Sparkleneely said...

This is so awesome! I hope it's a tie!!! xoxoxo

Spencer said...

I doubt it will be a tie! Because I am ahead with only 1 (!!!) book left to go. But it is Oliver Twist, which is a 500 page book. Oh no!

larajanepark said...

Just so everyone knows, Spencer did win this competition!
He finished all of the books-even Oliver Twist, which I found boring and difficult and didn't get past about page 78.
A very handsome banker matched the funds of the bet so Spencer had a nice fat $20 win on this bet! I am so very proud of him.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground