Around Her Head She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.....

Friday, July 2, 2010

The Yellow Ribbon Song

(that's what my kids always called it. My sisters and I always called it the "faraway song"....
as in....*mama, sing us the faraway song*)


Around her head she wore a yellow ribbon
She wore it in the springtime and in the month of May
And if you asked her why the heck she wore it
She wore it for an airman who was far, far away.

Chorus:
Far away
Far away
She wore it for an airman who was far, far away

Around her leg she wore a purple garter
She wore it in the springtime and in the month of May
And when you asked her why the heck she wore it
She wore it for an airman who was far, far away.

Far away
Far away
She wore it for an airman who was far, far away

Around the block she pushed a baby carriage
She pushed it in the springtime and in the month of May
And when you asked her why the heck she pushed it
She pushed it for an airman who was far, far away.

Far away
Far away
She pushed it for an airman who was far, far away

Behind the door her father kept a shotgun
He kept it in the springtime and in the month of May
And when you asked him why the heck he kept it
He kept it for an airman who was far far away


Far away
Far away
He kept it for an airman who was far, far away

I have logged hours & hours of long nights singing this song to my beautiful children over the years. Of course they are too big for it now. But this way they'll always remember the words.

(this song was passed to us by Mimi, my grandmother, who spent years and years waiting for her airman to come home. Guess what? He always did. That is such a happy thing.)
mimi and papa, nov 06
I miss my Papa. He was our airman.

1 comment :

Amy said...

Oooooo, I love this song and I love the picture you put with this blog. Thanks for the great memory sister. I love you so much. I am so very, very thankful for all of my family, far and near. And I am sooooo thankful that we will see Papa and Gramma Mom and all of our loved ones again. Of this I am sure! Love you so much. xoxoxox

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground