Careful Sweetheart, Love Hurts.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

ALAMEDA FLEA MARKET, SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 4, 2012

Handsome Man and I love the first Sunday of the month. It's when the Alameda Antiques Fair is "on". It was a gorgeous day! Hot and sunshiney- we got there early (before 8am) and didn't get home until 4pm. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, just the usual treasures. Old quilts, cowboy boots, French silverware (anything French I suppose), green pottery, belt buckles, old friends etc.

I really like to take pictures of things that remind me of my life! Old things I may have had at one time or another, toys from my childhood, kitchen utensils that we used to have when I was a kid. Things that remind me of my family and of the people I love.

I was so excited to see "Ho-Ho". He's the exact same Santa that used to belong to my Great Aunt Margaret and Uncle Vince. He plugs in and lights up and slowly bends back and forth at the waist. Aunt Margaret and Uncle Vince used to put him on their front porch every Christmas when we were kids living in Lafayette, CA. My youngest sister Lisa loved Ho-Ho so much! She would fling her tiny arms around him and beg us to "visit" him every day. We lived on the same street as Aunt Margaret, Uncle Vince and Ho-Ho.  Here he is. (this one's for you Lisa) xoxox

SantaCollage
(someone re-painted the red, but otherwise, he's just as I remembered him to be)

We saw lots of great treasures:

Barbed wire heart and glass insulators
Careful Sweetheart, Love Hurts


The shortest little clawfoot bathtub I've ever seen!

short little bathtub!

very short old clawfoot tub


They only have 12 chances a year to sell Christmas, so there's always something to be found. Especially on the first Sunday of November and December.

IMG_1463

Pot full of Nativity Characters
Pot full of Nativity Characters

Stack of ornaments.
I love the graphics on the old "Shiny Brite" ornament boxes.

Mason Jar Snow Globes
Mason Jar Snow Globes


IMG_1419
Santa Mugs at George's booth

IMG_1418
Driftwood Christmas Trees

I'd love an old truck like this...
IMG_1421
I liked both of these pictures
IMG_1420

Just a pile of treasures (sorry about the shadow. I didn't take a ton of pictures this time so I don't want to leave anything out)
IMG_1417

The Farmyard Darlings truck.
Farmyard Darling Truck

Oh! Look what I found!
Hand pieced Log Cabin from the late 1800's
An old, hand pieced log cabin barn raising quilt from the late 1800's!
Taking a picture of the booth # so I can come back to look at it again. She was asking $95.00 for it and I had to think about it.
IMG_1424

Treasures from William's Antiks,
IMG_1432

IMG_1431

IMG_1430

This old weathervane is one of the best things I saw, the guy was asking $200 for it (which I thought was fair). If I had a house that I owned, especially a beach house, I'd have scooped it up.
IMG_1428

An old doll buggy like the one I got for Christmas one year when I was 5.
IMG_1427

A duck like one from the Nursery at church when I was little,
IMG_1426

There's even a plant lady who had gorgeous Japanese Maple trees,
IMG_1429
(right next to the plant lady is the best teriyaki chicken bowl- get it over brown rice and pour the sauce on top. So delicious for $7.50- we ate it up before we could think to take a picture. At about 9am!)

A great old display from a hardware store in Kansas.
Hardware Store display from Kansas

Hardware Store display from Kansas
The pie shaped drawers pulled out. It was missing a few, but if I still had a store I'd have bought this for a display.

It's incredible to me that Alameda has this huge beautiful waterfront that's just being used for nothing. The view to San Francisco is beautiful. I can really see a gorgeous neighborhood here, with a ferry to the city, plenty of restaurants with patio seating, apartments with views. But this is what it is for now. It's filled with old military housing buildings that are vacant and boarded up. I guess nobody can figure out how to get it from the government and develop it without causing a big fuss, so here it sits.
IMG_1471

IMG_1473

IMG_1465

Should have bought this great old basket. It was in good condition for its age. At least 100 years old. I just checked with HM and he said he thought it was from 1860-1880. We both agree that we should have bought it. The guy was asking $95 for it. We're sorry we didn't get it.
IMG_1462

IMG_1461
I've never even heard of Regal Pale Beer. Have you?

Courtney met us later in the day and bought this old tool bench on wheels. She's already purchased a new (old) white marble top for it (from Omega Salvage in Berkeley) and is going to refinish it and use it as an island/sideboard in her kitchen. She has the cutest little cottage in Oakland with big high beam ceilings and she has it fixed up so nice. This will be a great piece for her!
IMG_1459

My friend and next door neighbor Clare used to make embellished baby jean jackets and this reminded me of her cute stuff. Oh our little grand-niece Ellie would be so ADORABLE in these girlied-up Osh-Kosh overalls!
IMG_1457


You know me and my crate thing...
IMG_1456
It's always been about containers of any kind for me.

Hundreds of old Coke bottles and crates...
IMG_1455

Perfect Barn Art if you ask me
IMG_1445

Spokes and clothespins
IMG_1442

It always amazes me how the vendors can completely set up "shop" in one morning and have the whole thing dismantled and packed up and be driving home by 4 or 5pm.
Her "shop" was cute
IMG_1443

After the flea market we stopped for refreshments in Orinda.
IMG_1474
Then we came home.

I did buy the beautiful log cabin quilt top. She took $75 for it at about 2pm.
Here it is...
Mama's new old Barnyard Raising Log Cabin quilt from the 1880's

IMG_1489

HM bought me this #12 Bauer bowl
Green, of course :)
IMG_1506
IMG_1507

He got himself this tiny old little bowl (it's so small and cute)
IMG_1494
and a pair of fabulous old American Indian baskets:
IMG_1493

Not pictured: Exquisite sterling and turquoise hand tooled Navajo belt buckle. With the Artists mark.

Then we came home and cleaned the guns
IMG_1486
Scarlett's surprised that people really DO that, as opposed to just singing about it in country songs. We told her she could bring the boys on by any time, he'd just be sitting here, cleaning his gun.


IMG_1479

We always have fun. I love my little family and I love my life.
Now it's time to go quilt my new quilt!

THE END

Love,
me
xoxox
























2 comments :

Sparkleneely said...

That Santa was TOTALLY what I wanted to go for... And then I changed my mind. And then I regretted it. xoxo

Kim said...

Thanks for taking me to the flea market with you! So envious, wishing I lived somewhere that had a good flea market!! I'm with you on the container thing. And OMG love that quilt!!!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground