Mrs. Calabash, at it again....

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Masud. 
He's the 93 year old founder of my company. When he's feeling chipper, he comes by my desk on his way out of the office and tips his imaginary hat and says "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!". I love it.  He is an amazing man and he always makes me feel special. It's incredible to work for him, he's built an amazing empire in Northern California and his son and grandson are carrying on the tradition with his business.

I've told you this before- you can read it HERE.

About two weeks ago, Masud came by my desk and instead of saying "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are" he said quietly to me, "If you find me a Jimmy Durante hat, I'll wear it."

I asked him his hat size.
7 1/8


He spoke so softly, I really wondered to myself if he'd said it. But yes. By Gosh I was going to find him a Jimmy Durante hat. I googled Jimmy Durante hats and watched old clips of the Jimmy Durante Show (which only ran on t.v. from 1954-1956).

Then I found the best Hatter I could find,  Lock & Co., LTD in London- St. James's Street, and tried to figure out which hat would have been a Jimmy Durante hat.

I found it. 
The Chelsea. 
In Gray. 

So I ordered it and had it sent to my office......

It felt like Christmas when it arrived. The box was huge and wonderful.

IMG_2552

IMG_2553

IMG_2555

IMG_2554

IMG_2556

So I wrote a little note, tucked it into the tissue paper and set the box on his chair in his office so he'd see it first thing when he came in Tuesday afternoon....

IMG_2558

And he LIKED IT!

This is what I found in my mailbox at home today:

Mrs. Calabash, love masud.

I think we made each others day.

P.S. I love my job.

Love,
me
xoxox

3 comments :

Amy said...

Love! :)

lisalynn said...

I love this post. Isn't it the best feeling in the world to give a gift to someone that is not expecting it? Especially something you know they will love. You did good sissy! He will surely remember you every time he wears that fabulous hat. xoxo

Cindy Sharkey said...

Even more special now. You made his life special & important, Lara. Not many can say that. Bravo my girl.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground